Saint William Hermitage
That hermitage maintains since an inmemorial time a mysterious dialogue with the Monte Pindo.
Located high on the Monte do Facho, looking to the inner face of the estuary and to the Monte Pindo, you can find the remains of an hermitage, which was destroyed on the XVIII century, asociated to the Ara Solis (sun cult) and related with rites of fertility,´cause, as by the tradition, on a big horizontal slab, slept the sterile marriages to conceive children.
This hermitage was probably a hermit home, that some historians thought could be the Duque de Aquitania, Guillermo X, who journey to Santiago on the XI century and died arriving to Santiago been inmortalized by the people with the nickname Don Gaiferos, but maybe is the aftermath of the Christian turning to a pagan cult place. Could be also other Saint William knew as Gellone, who lived on Carlomagno times, who was seen carrying wine skins over a donkey. This version coincide with the barrel of wine legend which in 1581 was related by Erich Lassota, noble Chek pilgrim who walked to Fisterra.
At Fisterra, remember Mr. Borrow by the tradition of the ancient christian world, James, Spain Saint Boss, preach the Godspell to the Spanish idolatrous. And the P Catoira writes that on 1744, as affirmed by J.E.Rivadulla Porta, Finisterre hermitage, by that kingdom tradition,was built by our James, when destroying at that place the barbarian cult who gentils gave to the sun, over the mount dilated plain, that was called Ara Solis.
There are remains off side walls which were prolongued to a gig rock which closed the precint, where nowadays yet we can see the stone bed, with sun draws and an anthropomorphic grave still located on its primitive location.
To arrive to the hermitage remains, you must get the lighthouse road, and 300m before there´s a way up to the right which goes to the old radio-telegraph station, from here there’s a clay track which take us to the hermitage, located 400m far away.
The elongation of the pilgrim’s way to Fisterra is, after the Camiño Francés, the itinerary more referenced in the Fisterra literature. To Jorge Grissaphan, XIV century knight, we owe the earlier report of this route on his Visiones Georgii. After reach Compostela as a pilgrim, eager to stay in Galicia as a hermit, he was informed of a "so lonely place, desert and notablely separated from the people and their housing, located amon the highest mounts that almost nobody haunted”; it’s about the San Guillermo mount, at Fisterra cape. Nevertheless, and after five months, he must left ‘cause were several who visited him, some of them for sure pilgrims.
Finishing the Middle Age they increase the reports, by instante the one of Nompar II, master of Caumont (1417), who pass on Maroñas and speaks of San Guillermo "of the desert".
Finishing the XV century, the Polish Nicolas Popielovo, went to Fisterra, ‘cause in its church was gained on those years the full indulgence.
Already on the XVI century, the Venetian Bartolome Fontana visit_Fisterra, followinf from A Coruña, the Costa da Morte (1539). At Fisterra he recalls the hospital ansd speak about the guides who lead the pilgrims to San Guillermo hermitage.
Doménico Laffi, four times pilgrim to Santiagoo, on 1673 arrived to Fisterra, where he mentions the church of Santa María and the beacon with fire to direct the navigators. These and many other reports tell with details the surroundings of San Guillermo mount and its hermitage.
On 1745, the Padre Sarmiento writes: Not long ago there was a slab or stone bed where husband and wife lied, ‘cause, been sterile, resort to the Saint and to that hermitage.